Click to resize the text + -
State of Nebraska Board of Engineers and Architects

Continuing Education

The Board   |   Licensing/Practice  |   Continuing Education   |   Licensee Seal  |   

Contact Information   |    Emeritus   |   Remediation/Enforcement    |   Complaints

Certificates of Authorization (COA)    |     Temporary Permits    |   Titles

Continuing Education

How are hours calculated for CEUs?

  • 1 actual hour = at least fifty (50) minutes of instruction
  • CEU = 1 PHD/PDU = 1 actual hour
  • semester credit hour of formal education = 45 actual hours
  • 1 quarter credit hour of formal education = 30 actual hours

Does the Board pre-approve CE courses?

No. The Board does not pre-approve any continuing education.

Review Board Rule 9.4.1 for determination of credit. 

What types of CE courses are accepted?

It is up to licensees to determine if the continuing education activity applies to their discipline and if it is truly valuable to the education process. These are biennial hours (required over a two-year period) and documentation must be maintained by the licensee. 

To learn more about CE courses, review Chapter 9

What are my requirements for continuing education if I want to reinstate my license?

You must prove that you completed the biennial continuing education requirement in the two years prior to your application for license reinstatement, along with the reinstatement application and application fee

If I complete CE hours during my initial renewal period, can I use excess hours as carryover?

New licensees are exempt from CE requirements during their initial renewal period. In order to use excess hours as carryover, the new licensee must accrue more than the CE requirement and may then be able to use up to one-half of the biennial requirement.

A professional engineer may carry over a maximum of 15 hours of CE credit, while an architect may carry over a maximum of 12 hours.

Can I carry over any of my continuing education hours?

Yes, licensees can carry over excess hours, up to one-half of the previous biennial requirement. 

For example, if you have accrued 45 hours in a 2-year period, a professional engineer (30 CE hours required every two years) may carry over 15 hours of CE credit, and an architect (24 CE hours every two years) may carry over 12 hours of CE credit.

How do I use carryover?

To use excess hours accrued during the previous biennial renewal period as carryover, you will need to provide a CE log and supporting documentation of all hours completed during the previous renewal period in addition to the CE log and documentation for the current renewal period. This documentation will be required if you are selected for a CE audit and intend to use carryover hours.

Can I self-report hours?

Yes. You can report “self-designed activities” for up to one-quarter of the total requirement. 

Self Guided Report Form

Can I fulfill CE requirements through Internet-based programs?

Yes. You can gain credit through Internet-based continuing education programs. The Internet-based program must provide documentation of those hours, and credit from some providers may be restricted (see Rule 9.2.3 FAQ Page for more information).

How do I know if I have been selected for a CE audit?

Licensees are randomly selected for a CE audit when the online renewal system is activated. You will find out if you have been selected for an audit of your continuing education at the end of the renewal process after payment of the license renewal fee. Your license will not be renewed until you successfully complete the audit. 

If selected for an audit, must I complete it right away?

If you renew online, your receipt will include further instructions on how to complete the audit. You will not need to complete the audit immediately following the renewal process, but you are encouraged to send documentation as soon as possible. Your license will not be renewed until you successfully complete the audit.

Can I ask the Board for reconsideration if my CE is denied?

Yes. A request for reconsideration of denied CE should be made in writing and sent to the Compliance Officer

My last name started with A-K but now changed and now starts with L-Z. How does this effect my CE?

If your name places you in a different portion of the alphabet for CE renewal, your renewal period will shift. To ensure your renewal year, please contact us at


If you have any questions or FAQs suggestions to add, please contact us.