Click to resize the text + -
State of Nebraska Board of Engineers and Architects



To be eligible for licensure by comity in Nebraska, you must have:

  • Graduated from an Engineering Association Commission/Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology-accredited engineering program OR met the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying Engineering Education Standard ;
    • To determine if your program is EAC/ABET or CEAB-accredited, search the respective database of accredited programs. If your program is not EAC/ABET-accredited, you must have your education evaluated by NCEES Credentials Evaluations to determine if it meets the NCEES Engineering Education Standard. Their report must be submitted directly to the Board, and any deficiencies identified must be corrected or removed by the Board. For more information on correcting deficiencies, refer to Rule 2.2.4 of The Nebraska Engineers and Architects Regulation Act (Title 110, NAC).
    • Note: If your degree is in engineering technology only, it has been the Board's experience these degrees typically do not meet the NCEES Engineering Education Standard due to a deficiency in engineering sciences and design. In addition, NCEES will only conduct evaluations where the applicant has graduated from:
      • A Foreign (non-U.S.) engineering degree program; or
      • A US-based, non-EAC/ABET-accredited degree program in engineering, engineering technology, related science, or mathematics only when coupled with a master's degree or doctorate from a program that is EAC/ABET-accredited at the undergraduate or graduate level.
  • Passed both the FE and PE exams;
  • Be licensed in good standing in at least one other jurisdiction recognized by the Board; and
  • Four years of engineering experience after graduation and gained at the time of Nebraska license application;
    • If an applicant does not have an EAC/ABET-accredited degree and/or has not passed both the FE and PE exams, they may qualify for comity licensure if they have a minimum of fifteen years of licensed experience in good standing.

Application Process 

It is the applicant’s responsibility to submit all required applications, documents, and fees to the Board.

  1. Complete and submit the Engineer License Application either online or by paper along with the applicable filing fee;
  2. Have verification of your exam(s) passage, including the discipline of your PE Exam, and your current license sent directly to the Nebraska board from the issuing jurisdiction(s). The license verification may be submitted electronically. If not, a paper verification can be found here;

If the licensing jurisdiction does not license by discipline or have a record of the PE exam discipline, verification of discipline of practice may be provided by the Affidavit of Specific Discipline Form of an individual with knowledge of the applicant’s discipline of practice. The affidavit cannot be used to verify practice in the structural discipline. An applicant must have taken sixteen hours of structural exams or have been licensed as a Professional Structural Engineer (not just a Professional Engineer practicing in the structural discipline) for at least fifteen years in order to qualify for a structural license. 

  1. Have official verification of graduation from an EAC/ABET-accredited engineering program sent directly to the Nebraska board from the granting institution. If you do not hold an EAC/ABET-accredited degree, have NCEES Credentials Evaluation send a copy of its report directly to the Nebraska Board.
  2. Upon receipt of your application, an exam on The Nebraska Engineers and Architects Regulation Act and Board’s Rules and Regulations will be sent to you. This must be sent back to the Board and successfully passed prior to your license being issued.

Any information requested on the application with respect to education, experience, or references may be provided by submitting an NCEES Council Record.

Once all the above has been received, your application will be reviewed. If you are designated as Model Law Engineer (MLE) on your NCEES Record, and there are no issues (i.e. disciplinary actions) that the Board must review first, you may be issued a conditional license administratively by Board staff pending formal Board approval. All other applications must go to the Board for its review and approval prior to the license being issued.

  • A conditional license may be withdrawn by the Board if it determines the applicant does not qualify for licensure for any reason.
  • If this occurs, the conditional license expires at 11:59 pm on the date the licensee is notified of such Board action.

In Nebraska, licenses are discipline-specific based on the PE exam discipline. However, licensees can practice in – and seal documents related to – any discipline of engineering in which the individual has the training, education, and experience.

Affidavit of Specific Discipline

NCEES Credentials Evaluation

Professional Engineer License Application (Online)

Professional Engineer License Comity Application


If you have any questions about comity licensure for engineers, please contact us.