Click to resize the text + -
State of Nebraska Board of Engineers and Architects

Initial Licensure

Requirements   |   FE   |   Engineer Intern Enrollment   |   PE/SE   |   Experience   |   Initial Licensure

The requirements for initial licensure as a professional engineer in Nebraska are:

  1. A degree from an EAC/ABET or CEAB-accredited engineering program OR meeting the NCEES Engineering Education Standard;
  2. Passage of the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam (FE) and the Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) Exam, including the Structural Engineering (SE) Exam;
  3. At least four years of progressive engineering experience gained after a four-year engineering program or equivalent;
  4. Five references from individuals unrelated to you who can attest to your good reputation and good ethical character. Three must be professional engineers having personal knowledge of your engineering experience; and
  5. Passage of an exam on The Nebraska Engineers and Architects Regulation Act.

If you have passed the PE in another jurisdiction but are looking to obtain your initial license (not already licensed in another jurisdiction) in Nebraska, you will need to submit an Application for Initial Licensure of a Professional Engineer after meeting the above requirements.

Educational Debt Reimbursement Request

Nebraska engineering graduates who have passed the FE Exam may qualify for a $100 reimbursement from the Board if they meet the following requirements:

  • Graduated from an EAC/ABET-accredited engineering program in Nebraska,
  • Passed the FE Exam on the first attempt, no later than nine months after graduation, and
  • Have qualifying educational debt. Qualifying education debt is defined as any government or commercial loans obtained by a student for post-secondary education, tuition, other educational expenses, or reasonable living expenses, as determined by the Board. 

To request reimbursement:

  • Complete the Engineering Educational Debt Reimbursement Request Form and send the completed form to the Board.
  • Request a copy of your official transcript to be sent directly to the Board's office from the granting institution. Electronic transcripts may be sent to Note: Master/Doctorate graduates from the University of Nebraska will need to request their graduate transcript from Lincoln, even if the program was offered wholly in Omaha.
  • Your request and transcript must be received within 12 months of graduation from the EAC/ABET-accredited engineering program.

Please allow six to eight weeks for processing. Reimbursement will be in the form of a check from the State of Nebraska. See Board Rule 2.8.1 for further information.

Application for Initial Licensure of a Professional Engineer

Engineering Educational Debt Reimbursement Request

Engineer Intern Enrollment Application

PE Exam Application

NCEES Exam Information

NCEES Credentials Evaluations

NCEES Study Materials

UNL College of Engineering

Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET)

Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB)