Click to resize the text + -
State of Nebraska Board of Engineers and Architects

Temporary Permits

An architecture applicant who holds a current and valid license issued by a licensing authority of another jurisdiction that is recognized by the Board may apply for a Temporary Permit for the purpose of providing architectural service on a single project, not to exceed two years. If the project lasts longer than two years, the permit holder must obtain a Nebraska architect license to continue practicing in the State. Architects holding a temporary permit will use their seal from the state of verified licensure when sealing documents pertaining to the Nebraska project and must accompany this seal with the template issued by the Board. An architect is eligible for only one temporary permit.

Application Process

It is the applicant’s responsibility to submit all required applications, documents, and fees to the Board. The applicant must:

  1. Complete and submit the Application for Temporary Permit to Practice Architecture along with the applicable filing fee;
  2. Have verification of your current license sent directly to the Nebraska board from the issuing licensing jurisdiction or NCARB. The Verification of Licensure or Examination of an Architect may be able to be submitted electronically. If not, paper verification can be found here.

  3. Upon receipt of your application, an exam on The Nebraska Engineers and Architects Regulation Act and Board's Rules and Regulations will be sent to you. This must be successfully passed and sent back to the Board prior to your permit being issued.

Temporary Permits may be issued administratively by Board staff contingent on formal approval by the Board and will consist of a template containing the applicant’s name, permit number, expiration date, and the project name and location.

Temporary Permit Fee

The Temporary Permit fee is $300. Fees must be paid by check or money order; the Board does not accept credit card payments for this application fee.

Organizational Use

Organizations are not issued temporary permits. However, a project being carried out in Nebraska under an organization’s name must apply for a Certificate of Authorization.  A temporary permit holder can be named as the Architect in responsible charge for the purpose of obtaining a Certificate of Authorization. 

More Information

More detailed information can be found in Chapter 4.2.4 in The Nebraska Engineers and Architects Regulation Act.

For international design professionals looking to do work in Nebraska through a temporary license, Nebraska has a statutory requirement that the individual must be able to provide documentation that they can legally be in the US, even if they do not plan to visit the site. The documentation is then submitted to the US Department of Homeland Security for verification. If we cannot obtain verification, we cannot issue the temporary permit. 


 Application for Temporary Permit to Practice Architecture

 Verification of Licensure or Examination of an Architect

If you have any questions about reinstating your architecture license, please contact us.