Click to resize the text + -
State of Nebraska Board of Engineers and Architects

Licensing Practice

Licensing Practice   |   Continuing Education   |   Licensee Seal   |   

Contact Information   |   Emeritus   |   Remediation/Enforcement   |   Complaints

Certificates of Authorization (COA)   |   Temporary Permits   |   Titles

Licensing Practice

What is a coordinating professional?

A Coordinating Professional is a member of the design team who coordinates all of the disciplines needed to complete a project. The seal of the coordinating professional does not designate responsible charge for the architectural or engineering work, and also provides a contact for the project for building officials. The Coordinating Professional’s seal must appear on the cover sheet of all documents along with specific identifying language. Review Neb. Rev. Stat. §81-3437.02 and Board Rule 6.3 in the Board’s rules and regulations for more guidance.

What are temporary permits?

Temporary permits allow an individual licensed in another jurisdiction to obtain a one-time use permit to practice in the state on a single project for two years. Outside of these circumstances, the individual must obtain a license in Nebraska. 

Is our company allowed to go after projects (bid) in Nebraska without an active license in the state?

Neb. Rev. Stat. §81-3442 states that it is unlawful for any person to practice or offer to practice architecture or engineering in this state without being licensed in accordance with The Nebraska Engineers and Architects Regulation Act (the “Act”). In addition, N.R.S. §81-3436 states that an individual licensed under the Act may practice or offer to practice through an organization if the organization is issued a certificate of authorization by the Nebraska Board of Engineers and Architects (the “Board”).

However, Board Rule 5.6 explains the steps by which non-licensed architects or professional engineers, and by extension organizations who do not hold a certificate of authorization, may offer to provide their services on projects in Nebraska subject to the Act:

5.6.2   Architects or professional engineers who are not licensed in Nebraska, but who hold a valid license in another jurisdiction recognized by the Board:   May identify themselves as such on correspondence and other documents that offer to provide professional services in Nebraska, if such documents clearly indicate and disclose that the architect or professional engineer:   Holds a valid and current license in another jurisdiction recognized by the Board;   Does not hold a current and valid license from Nebraska;   Would have to obtain a license in Nebraska in order to perform the services described in the offer; and   Has a reasonable likelihood of being issued a license in Nebraska.

Architectural and engineering organizations that do not hold a certificate of authorization may respond to RFPs if they comply with Rules through

Referencing Rule, jurisdictions recognized by the Board for architecture at this time include all U.S. states and territories, Canada, Mexico, Australia, and New Zealand; jurisdictions recognized for the purpose of engineering include all U.S. states and territories.

Once architectural or engineering organization(s) are awarded the project, those firms must apply for and be issued a certificate of authorization from the Board before entering into an agreement with the project owner to provide their respective professional services.

Similarly, architects and professional engineers not practicing through an organization, who are not licensed by the Board to practice their respective professions in Nebraska, may offer their services in accordance with the same rules but must apply for and be granted a license prior to entering into an agreement with the owner to provide their services.

Can a temporary permit be used for an organization to obtain a Certificate of Authorization?

Yes. A temporary permit holder can be the architect or professional engineer in responsible charge (AIC or EIC) for the purposes of obtaining a certificate of authorization. An organization itself cannot receive a temporary permit.

What does “licensed by discipline” mean?

Professional engineers in Nebraska are licensed in a specific discipline, typically determine by the discipline of the PE Examination you pass. For example, if you have passed the Civil PE Exam, then you will be licensed as a Professional Civil Engineer and your seal will be designated as such.

Nebraska recognizes all disciplines of the examination as offered by NCEES.

Do I need an electrical engineer for the design of electrical work?

It depends on the project. The Nebraska Engineers and Architects Regulation Act requires professional engineers to design electrical installations on all projects subject to the Act and that involve the practice of engineering. Master electricians licensed by the State Electrical Board are authorized to “plan, layout or supervise” the installation of wiring, apparatus, or equipment for projects they are installing.

Can professional engineers practice in a discipline other than the discipline on their seal?

Yes. Professional engineers may practice in disciplines of engineering other than the discipline noted on their seal if they have the education, training, and experience to do so. If a licensee’s practice is called into question, the individual may be required to provide the Board with evidence that they are competent to practice other disciplines. If the Board has deemed a licensee not competent in an engineering discipline, they are not allowed to practice engineering in that discipline.

Review Board Rule 5.1 for more information. 

How do I know what my discipline of practice is?

This question is specific to professional engineers. 

You may check your discipline of practice as a professional engineer with the Nebraska Board of Engineers and Architects office, or check the Licensee Lookup section of the Board’s website.​

If my discipline is not listed on my seal, do I need to update my seal?

This question is specific to professional engineers. 

Yes, all seals must have the specific discipline listed between “Professional” and “Engineer”; i.e., Professional Electrical Engineer.

When is a structural engineer needed on a project?

The Nebraska Engineers and Architects Regulation Act does not contain any provisions specifying when a structural engineer is required. It is up to each licensee to practice within their education, training, and experience. However, other agencies and local jurisdictions can be more stringent than state law and require work to be performed by a professional structural engineer. In that case, the licensee must hold a professional structural engineer license.


If you have any questions or FAQs suggestions to add, please contact us.