Click to resize the text + -
State of Nebraska Board of Engineers and Architects

Engineering Experience

NCEES | Engineering Education | 

Engineering Experience | Engineering Examination | Further Engineering Questions 

Engineering Experience

What is progressive engineering experience?

Progressive engineering experience generally means that an individual’s engineering experience has been of increasing quality and has required more responsibility.  Construction experience may be used to satisfy the experience requirement only if the work required the application of engineering principles.

Can I substitute education for experience?

  • Successful completion of graduate study leading to an advanced degree in engineering may satisfy part of the experience requirement.
  • A Masters Degree in engineering may be used for credit for one year of experience if it is preceded by an EAC/ABET-accredited baccalaureate degree in engineering.
  • A Doctorate Degree in engineering may be used for two years of experience if it is preceded by an EAC/ABET-accredited degree in engineering; in the case of a Doctorate Degree, no additional experience will be credited for a Masters Degree.

Will the Board accept experience gained outside the U.S.?

The Board will consider engineering experience performed outside the United States if the Board determines that such experience is gained under a licensed professional engineer from an NCEES jurisdiction, or upon reasonable investigation by an engineer Board member, that such experience was performed under circumstances comparable to the standards for engineering in the United States. All materials necessary to make the determination must be provided by and at the expense of the applicant.

When does my experience “clock” begin?

Only work after graduation from a professional engineering program may be used to satisfy the experience requirement.


Do I have to work for or be supervised by a licensed P.E. for my experience to count?

Experience does not have to be gained under the supervision of a licensed professional engineer.  If that is the case, an explanation should be made showing why the experience should be considered acceptable to the Board.

Will my research and design work as a graduate student qualify for experience?

Experience gained in engineering research and design projects by members of an engineering faculty where the curriculum is approved by the Board may be used to satisfy the experience requirement.

Experience may not be anticipated. The experience must have been received at the time of the application

What is an Engineer-Intern?

An Engineer-Intern is a person who has met education requirements, passed the FE Exam, and enrolled as an engineer-intern by the Nebraska Board. To enroll, please fill out the Engineer-Intern Application Form. 

Do I have to become an Engineer-Intern to become licensed?

No. Enrolling as an Engineer-Intern is not a requirement of licensure in Nebraska.


If you have any questions or FAQs suggestions to add, please contact us.