Click to resize the text + -
State of Nebraska Board of Engineers and Architects

Architect - Comity


To be eligible for licensure by comity in Nebraska you must have:

  • Graduated from a NAAB-accredited architectural program, or met the NCARB Education Standard;
    • To determine if your program is NAAB-accredited, search NAAB’s database of accredited programs. If your program is not NAAB-accredited, you must have your education evaluated by EESA-NCARB to determine if it meets the NCARB Education Standards. Their report must be submitted directly to the Board, and any deficiencies identified must be corrected or removed by the Board. For more information, refer to Rule 3.2.1 of the Board's Rules and Regulations (Title 110, NAC).
  • Passed the ARE exam;
  • Be licensed in good standing in at least one other jurisdiction recognized by the Board; and
  • Completion of the Architectural Experience Program (AXP) or its equivalent as determined by NCARB; or
    • If an applicant does not have a NAAB-accredited degree and/or has not passed the ARE, they may qualify for comity licensure if they have a minimum of fifteen years of licensed experience in good standing.

Application Process

It is the applicant’s responsibility to submit all required applications, documents, and fees to the Board.

  1. Complete and submit the Architect License Application either online or by paper along with the applicable filing fee;
  2. Have verification of your exam passage, and current license sent directly to the Nebraska board from the issuing jurisdiction(s); and
  3. Have official verification of graduation from a NAAB-accredited architectural program sent directly to the Nebraska board from the granting institution. If you do not hold a NAAB-accredited degree, you will need to obtain an EESA-NCARB Education Evaluation to determine if you meet the NCARB education standard. Have NCARB send a copy of the report directly to the Nebraska Board.
  4. Upon receipt of your application, an exam on the Nebraska E&A Act and Board’s Rules and Regulations will be sent to you. This must be sent back to the Board and successfully passed prior to your license being issued.

Any information requested on the application concerning education, or experience, may be provided by submitting an NCARB Record.

Once all the above has been received, your application will be reviewed. If you hold an NCARB Certificate and there are no issues (i.e. disciplinary actions) that the Board must review first, you may be issued a license administratively by the Board staff contingent on formal Board approval. All others must go to the Board for its review and approval prior to the license being issued.

  • A conditional license may be withdrawn by the Board if it determines the applicant does not qualify for any reason. If this occurs, the conditional license expires at 11:59 pm on the date the licensee is notified of such Board action.

Architect Application (Online)

If you have any questions about comity licensure for architects, please contact us.