Click to resize the text + -
State of Nebraska Board of Engineers and Architects

Engineer - Temporary Permits

A professional engineer who holds a current and valid license issued by a licensing authority in another jurisdiction that is recognized by the Board may apply for a temporary permit to provide engineering services for a specific project, not to exceed one year. A professional engineer is eligible for only one temporary permit; multiple temporary permits are not issued. Extensions on temporary permits are not issued. In the event that the project will not be completed within the one year period, the professional engineer must apply for licensure in order to continue practicing or offering to practice, engineering in Nebraska.

To apply for a Temporary Permit:

  • File an application with the required fee;
    • Please note, if the project does not yet have a physical street address from the United States Postal Service, a specific location identifier will need to be supplied. For further questions about a project's address, please contact our Compliance Officer
  • Submit satisfactory evidence of licensure and verification of good standing, this verification must include the discipline of examination. If the registration authority does not license by engineering discipline or have a record of examination discipline, verification of discipline may be provided by NCEES record; and (link to verification)
  • Successfully complete a short law exam covering the Engineers and Architects Regulation Act sent to the applicant when the application is received. 

Associated Fees

See our Fees page for a guide on fees associated with obtaining a Temporary Permit. Fees must be paid by check, money order, or ACH payment; the Board does not accept credit card payments for this application fee.

Organizational Use

Organizations are not issued temporary permits. However, a project being carried out in Nebraska under an organization’s name must apply for a Certificate of Authorization. A temporary permit holder can be named as the professional engineer in responsible charge for the purpose of obtaining a Certificate of Authorization.

Sealing Documents

Temporary permit holders shall use their seal from the state of verified licensure when sealing documents pertaining to the Nebraska project and shall accompany the seal with the temporary permit template issued by the Board.

More Information

More detailed information can be found in Chapter 4.1 of the Rules and Regulations in the E&A Act.


 Temporary Permit Application

 Professional Engineer Verification Form

If you have any questions about reinstating your engineer license, please contact us.