Certificates of Authorization
Organizations practicing or offering to practice engineering and/or architecture in Nebraska must apply to the Board for a Certificate of Authorization.
- If the organization practices architecture, designate one Nebraska-licensed architect as the Architect in Responsible Charge (AIC). The AIC must regularly perform professional services for the organization for the duration of the certificate of authorization.
- If the organization practices engineering, designate one Nebraska-licensed professional engineer as the Engineer in Responsible Charge (EIC). The EIC must regularly perform professional services for the organization for the duration of the certificate of authorization.
- If the organization practices both architecture and engineering, designate one Nebraska-licensed architect as the AIC and one Nebraska-licensed professional engineer as the EIC. Both licensees must regularly perform professional services for the organization for the duration of the certificate of authorization.
Does my Organization Need a Certificate of Authorization?
Your organziation will need a Certificate of Authorization if it:
- Practices or offers to practice architecture and/or engineering in Nebraska,
- Engages in design-build in Nebraska, or
- Bills for architectural or engineering services pertaining to projects in Nebraska.
Your organization will not need a Certificate of Authorization if it:
- Is not a business entity created by law, including, but not limited to, a partnership, limited liabilty company, corporation, or joint venture;
- Engages activities that result ONLY in non-customized manufactured or fabricated products which can then be specified by Nebraska-licensed architects or professional engineers;
- Is a "Public Service Provider," defined in Neb. Rev. Stat. § 81-3423 as "any political subdivision which appoints a municipal engineer or which employs a full-time person licensed under the Engineers and Architects Regulation Act who is in responsible charge of architectural or engineering work"; or
- Engages in the practice of architecture or engineering only for itself.
Secretary of State Requirements
The Certificate of Authorization shall be used to file any applications with the Nebraska Secretary of State to fulfill the appropriate statutes or requirements for practicing in Nebraska as an organization.
A Certificate of Authorization or letter of eligibility issued by the Board may be required by the Secretary of State to issue:
- A certificate of authority to an organization intending to engage in the practice of architecture or engineering;
- A registration of name to an organization intending to engage in the practice of architecture or engineering; or
- A registration of trade name or service mark that includes the words architect or engineer, or any modification or derivative of such words, in the firm’s name or logotype.
- See our Fees page for a guide on fees associated with obtaining a Certificate of Authorization. The fee for architecture and engineering fees are the same. Please note the fee is based upon the total number of licensees regularly employed by the organization, not simply the number of Nebraska licensees employed.
- Fees must be paid by check, money order, or ACH payment; the Board does not accept credit card payments for this application fee.
Renewal of Certificates of Authorization
Certificates of Authorization must be renewed every two years. A renewal notice is sent to the organization approximately 2 months prior to the expiration of the Certificate of Authorization.
Organizations may designate a Temporary Permit holder as the EIC or AIC for purposes of obtaining a Certificate of Authorization.
A Changes to Certificate of Authorization form must be submitted within thirty days of the effective date of a change in the status of any individual designated as the EIC or AIC, and for changes to the organization's legal name, contact information, or practice area.
- More information can be found in Chapter 7 of the Board's Rules and Regulations.
If you have any questions about certificates of authorization, please contact us.