Click to resize the text + -
State of Nebraska Board of Engineers and Architects

Engineer - Comity

The requirements for comity licensure as a Professional Engineer in Nebraska are:

  • A degree from an EAC/ABET-accredited engineering program or meeting the NCEES Engineering Education Standard;
  • Passage of the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) and Principles and Practices of Engineering (PE) exams;
  • Licensure in good standing in at least one other jurisidiction recognized by the Board; and
  • Four years of engineering experience between graduation and the Nebraska license application; or
  • Fifteen years of licensed experience in good standing; and
  • Passage of an exam on the Nebraska E&A Act and the Board's Rules and Regulations.

Apply online for licensure via comity

Licensure by Experience

Applies to applicants with a minimum of fifteen years of licensed engineering work experience in another state.

NCEES Model Law Engineer (MLE) Record Holders

Please make a request to NCEES to have your record transmitted directly to the Nebraska Board.

A Model Law Engineer (MLE) refers to a person who holds an NCEES Record designating they have met the following criteria:

  • A graduate of an engineering program accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET;
  • Passed the 8-hour NCEES Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam;
  • Passed the 8-hour NCEES Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) exam (a 16-hour exam is required for Structural Engineering);
  • Completed four years of acceptable engineering experience after confirmation of an accredited engineering program; and
  • Has a record clear of disciplinary action

Board staff may review and evaluate the applications of all comity applicants to determine if they meet the Model Law criteria and requirements of the Nebraska Board.

Final Requirements for Licensure

A short law examination covering the Engineers and Architects Regulation Act must be successfully completed before a license number will be issued. The examination will be faxed or mailed to you upon receipt of the application.

NCEES Credentials Evaluations

Non-ABET engineering degree applicants must have their education evaluated by NCEES Credentials Evaluations to determine if the applicant meets the NCEES Education Standard. Any deficiencies identified by NCEES must be removed before receiving approval from the Board.

Temporary Permits

Professional engineers licensed in another state in good standing may alternatively apply for a temporary permit to provide services for no more than one project, not to exceed one year. Individuals will only be issued one temporary permit. For more details, visit our Temporary Permits page.

Professional Engineer License Application

Professional Engineer License Application (Online)

NCEES Credentials Evaluation

Affidavit of Specific Discipline

If you have any questions about comity licensure for engineers, please contact us.