Click to resize the text + -
State of Nebraska Board of Engineers and Architects

Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) and Structural (SE) Exam


Approvals are valid for five years starting with the first available exam administration after approval is given.

If an exam is failed four or more times, additional steps must be taken prior to being able to sit for the exam again even if within the five-year approval window. See Examination Failures below for more information.

Dates are subject to change without notice.


PE/SE Paper and Pencil Exam Application Deadlines

Next Examination Dates: April 5-6, 2019
First Time Application Deadline: December 28, 2018
NCEES Registration Opens: November 26, 2018
NCEES Registration Closes:
February 7, 2019 - 3:00pm EST 


PE Computer Based Test (CBT) Exam
Application Deadlines
Exam Next Exam Application Deadline Registration
Chemical Year Round Year Round Year Round
Environmental Year-Round beginning April 1, 2019 Year Round Year Round
Nuclear October 15, 2019 Year Round Year Round
Petroleum October 15, 2019 Year Round Year Round

Visit for all PE/SE Exam registration.


To be eligible to sit for the Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) or the 16-hour Structural (SE) exam in Nebraska, you must have:

  • Graduated from an EAC/ABET-accredited engineering program, or met the NCEES Engineering Education Standard;
    To determine if your program is EAC/ABET-accredited, search ABET’s database of accredited programs.
    If your program is not EAC/ABET-accredited, you must have your education evaluated by NCEES Credentials Evaluations to determine if it meets the NCEES Engineering Education Standard. Their report must be submitted directly to the Board, and any deficiencies identified must be corrected or removed by the Board. For more information on correcting deficiencies, refer to Rule 2.2.5 of the Board's Rules and Regulations (Title 110, NAC).
    • Note: If your degree is in engineering technology only, it has been the Board's experience these degrees typically do not meet the NCEES Engineering Education Standard due to a deficiency in engineering sciences and design. In addition, NCEES will only conduct evaluations where the applicant has graduated from:
      • A Foreign (non-U.S.) engineering degree program; or
      • A US-based, non-EAC/ABET-accredited degree program in engineering, engineering technology, related science, or mathematics only when coupled with a master's degree or doctorate from a program that is EAC/ABET-accredited at the undergraduate or graduate level.
  • Passed the FE Exam; and
  • A period (typically four years) of progressive engineering experience acceptable to the Board;
    • Experience may begin immediately following graduation from a four-year or equivalent engineering program.
    • Experience must have been obtained at the time the application is submitted and cannot be anticipated.
    • A Master's degree in engineering may be credited for one year of experiences if it is preceded by an EAC/ABET-accredited baccalaureate degree. Exception: When the Master's degree is the EAC/ABET-accredited degree, it cannot be used for experience credit.
    • A Doctorate degree in engineering may be credited for two years of experience if it is preceded by an EAC/ABET-accredited degree. This includes one year for the Master's degree.
    • A candidate may not sit for the PE or SE examination until at least four calendar years after completion of an EAC/ABET-accredited degree, irrespective of the combination of work experience and education credit that may be available for an advanced degree. 
    • For more information on acceptable engineering experience, refer to Chapter 2.3 of the Board's Rules and Regulations (Title 110, NAC).

Application Process

It is the applicant’s responsibility to submit all required applications, documents, and fees to the Board.

  1. Complete and submit the Principles & Practice of Engineering Exam application along with the applicable filing fee. The application and all supporting documentation must be received by the deadlines published at the top of this page. Please note, references must be sent to the board via mail, email or fax by the reference;
  2. Request a copy of your official transcripts be sent directly to the Nebraska board from the institution, or its authorized agent, from which your EAC/ABET-accredited degree (and any graduate degrees to be used toward experience) was granted or a copy of your NCEES Credentials Evaluation report be sent directly to the Board.  If you have been enrolled as an Engineer Intern in Nebraska within the last ten years, you do not need to re-submit transcripts unless you have graduate degrees you wish to apply toward your experience; and
  3. If you passed the FE exam in another state, have verification of passage be sent directly to the Nebraska board from the licensing board in the state in which you took and passed the exam. To request an electronic exam verification to be sent to Nebraska, you will need to log into your MyNCEES account. Click on Exam Verification from the Common Tasks shown on the Dashboard screen. If you do not have a MyNCEES account, one may be created at

Once all of the above has been received by the Board’s office, the Board will review the application and notification of the Board's action will be sent. Approved applicants must then register with and submit any exam registration fees directly to NCEES by the deadline posted on NCEES' website. Applicants must receive approval from the Nebraska board to sit for the PE or SE exam prior to registering with NCEES. Failure to do so may result in the loss of registration feed paid to NCEES and/or the eligibility to sit for the exam.

A candidate may sit for the exam in a discipline different from that of his or her education upon verification of four years of work experience acceptable to the Board in the requested discipline of examination.

A separate application is required for each discipline a candidate wishes to take. This includes candidates who are already licensed in Nebraska and wish to sit for the exam in additional disciplines. Applications, along with the necessary filing fee, must be received by the PE/SE Exam “First Time Application” deadline listed above.

Approval to sit for the PE or SE exam is valid for five years from the date of the first scheduled exam after Board approval. If the exam is not passed in this window, an examinee will be required to complete and submit a new application, meet the requirements in effect at the time of application, and be re-approved by the Board to register for and take the exam. The application must be completed by the PE/SE Exam "First Time Application" deadline listed above.

Study Materials

Study material for the exam is available from NCEES. Links to other study-related offerings may be obtained from the organizations listed on our Links of Interest page.

Becoming Licensed as a Professional Engineer

Once the candidate has successfully passed the PE or SE exam, further instructions for completing the licensure process will be sent, which includes the passage of a short exam on the Engineers and Architects Regulation Act and the Board's Rules and Regulations.

Examination Failures

After the fourth and subsequent failure of a PE exam or component of the SE exam, examinees will be required to present to the Board evidence of having acquired additional relevant formal learning before being approved to sit for the exam in the future. The examinee will be eligible to retake the failed exam or component on an annual basis.

  • Relevant formal learning means coursework consisting of at least two semester credit hours at the undergraduate or graduate level in the knowledge areas identified as failed in the NCEES exam diagnostic report.
  • The coursework must be acceptable at, or transferable to, an institution that offers EAC/ABET-accredited engineering programs. Online coursework is acceptable.
  • Examination preparatory classes, continuing education offerings, and individual study do not satisfy the formal learning requirement.
  • Verification of such must be sent directly to the Board from the institution at which the course(s) was taken.
  • The retake application, filing fee, and all supporting documents must be received by the "First Time Application" deadline listed above.

Notification of the Board's action will be sent once reviewed. Approved applicants must register with and submit the exam registration fees directly with NCEES by the deadline posted on their website. Applicants must receive approval from the Nebraska board to sit for the PE or SE exam prior to registering with NCEES. Failure to do so may result in the loss of registration feed paid to NCEES and/or the eligibility to sit for the exam.


If you have any questions about the education requirements for intern enrollment, please contact us.