Engineer - Continuing Education
Every licensed professional engineer in Nebraska must meet the continuing education requirements as a condition for license renewal.
License reinstatement applicants are required to provide documentation of compliance with continuing education requirements during the two-year period prior to their application.
|Next Expiration Dates:|
|Active licenses held by those whose last names begin with the initials||December 31, 2019|
|Active licenses held by those whose last names begin with the initials L||December 31, 2018|
Engineering Continuing Education (ECE) Requirements
Professional Engineers must complete thirty actual hours of engineering-related learning every biennial renewal period to meet the continuing education requirements. Of these, one must be directly related to ethical issues of professional practice.
One actual hour of learning means at least fifty minutes spent in verifiable educational pursuit. 0.1 CEU = 1 PDH/PDU = 1 actual hour
Newly licensed engineers are exempt from the continuing education requirements for their initial renewal period.
The Board has final authority with respect to approval of courses and credit. The Board does not pre-approve ANY course.
Information regarding allowable web-based continuing education can be found here at this link.
More detailed information can be found in:
Maintenance of records used to support continuing education credits claimed is the responsibility of the licensee. Records must be maintained for a period of four years and copies may be requested by the Board for audit verification purposes. Please do not send records to the Board unless requested for an audit. Required records include, but are not limited to:
- A log showing the type of activity claimed, sponsoring organization, location, duration, instructor's or speaker's name, and unit credits earned;
- Attendance verification records in the form of completion certificates, self-guided report submittals or other documents supporting evidence of attendance; or
- Records of CE activities maintained by the licensee through the NCEES CPC Registry, the Professional Development Registry for Engineers and Surveyors (PDRES), or similar repositories.
The Board establishes a number of licensees to be selected at random for an audit of their continuing education. The selection of licensees typically occurs in October, when the renewal system is activated. Licensees are notified of their selection for an audit once their renewal fee is received.
Those selected must successfully complete the audit in order to have their license renewed. If the audit is not successfully completed by the license expiration date, the individual will not be authorized to practice architecture in Nebraska unless and until the audit is successfully completed and their license is renewed.
If you are selected for an audit, you will need to submit:
- A log of continuing education credits claimed for the biennial renewal period, and
- Attendance verification records, such as completion certificates or other information documenting evidence of attendance.
If you have any questions about the continuing education requirements for engineers, please contact us.