The basic steps for initial licensure as an architect in Nebraska are:
- Graduation from a National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) accredited program OR meet the NCARB (National Council of Architectural Registration Boards) Education Standard:
- Completion of the Architectural Experience Program (AXP), formerly known as the Intern Development Program (IDP), OR its equivalent as determined and verified by NCARB;
- Pass all sections of the NCARB Architect Registration Examination (ARE): and
- Pass an exam on the Nebraska statutes and rules. (This will be sent to the applicant upon completion of the ARE.)
If you have passed the ARE in another jurisdiction, but are looking to obtain your initial license in Nebraska, you will need to complete an Architect Initial License Application after meeting the above requirements.
Educational Debt Reimbursement Request
Architecture students may receive a $100 reimbursement from the Board if they:
- Have established an NCARB record,
- Hold a Master of Architecture degree from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and
- Have qualifying educational debt. Qualifying education debt is defined as any government or commercial loans obtained by a student for post-secondary education, tuition, other educational expenses, or reasonable living expenses, as determined by the Board.
To request reimbursement:
- Complete the Architectural Education Reimbursement Request Form and send the completed form to the Board;
- Request that the granting institution send a copy of your official transcript directly to the Board. Electronic transcripts may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Note: Master/Doctorate graduates from the University of Nebraska, will need to request their graduate transcript from Lincoln, even if the program was offered wholly in Omaha.
- Have NCARB send verification you have established an NCARB Record with them (ARE Eligibility Notice) directly to the Board;
- Your request and transcript must be received within 12 months of graduation from the NAAB-accredited architecture program.
Allow 6-8 weeks for processing. Reimbursement will be in the form of a check from the State of Nebraska.