Click to resize the text + -
State of Nebraska Board of Engineers and Architects

Intern Enrollment for Examinees


To be eligible to enroll as an Engineer Intern in Nebraska, you must have passed the FE exam and either graduated from an EAC/ABET-accredited engineering program OR met the NCEES Engineering Education Standard.

To determine if your program is EAC/ABET-accredited, search ABET’s database of accredited programs.

Enrollment Process

  1. Complete and submit the Engineer Intern Enrollment Application along with the applicable filing fee. Note: If you passed the FE exam in Nebraska prior to January 2014, you do not need to submit an Engineer Intern Enrollment Application. Your certificate will be issued automatically upon receipt of your graduation verification.
  2. Request a copy of your official transcripts be sent directly to the Board from the institution from which your EAC/ABET-accredited engineering degree was received. Electronic transcripts are acceptable and should be sent to;
  3. If your program is not EAC/ABET-accredited, you must have your education evaluated by NCEES Credentials Evaluations to determine if it meets the NCEES Education Standard. The report must be submitted directly to the Board. If deficiencies are identified, they must be corrected as outlined in Board Rule 2.2.5; and
    Note: If your degree(s) are only in engineering technology, it has been the Board's experience that these degrees typically do not meet the NCEES Education Standard due to a deficiency in engineering sciences and design. In addition, NCEES will only conduct evaluations where the applicant has graduated from:
    1) A Foreign (non-U.S.) engineering degree program, or
    2) A U.S.-based, non-ABET/EAC-accredited degree program in engineering, engineering technology, related science, or mathematics only when coupled with a master's degree or doctorate from a program that is ABET/EAC-accredited at the undergraduate or graduate level.
  4. Have verification of FE exam passage sent directly to the board. You may be able to submit an electronic verification request of your passage via your MyNCEES account.

Upon receipt of all the above and after approval of the Board, an Engineer Intern (EI) Certificate will be issued to the applicant. It is the applicant’s responsibility to submit all required applications, documents, and fees to the Board. 


Becoming an Engineer Intern is not required to sit for the PE Exam or to become a licensed Professional Engineer in Nebraska. 


If you have any questions about the requirements for intern enrollment, please contact us.